First of all, Happy New Year to all you beautiful people out in the world who are reading this right now or otherwise. I hope that this year brings you lots of joy and happiness and you may achieve your goals that you have set for 2018! 🙂
2018 it is!! Seems like 2017 just started yesterday, isn’t it? Today is the first day of 2018 and when I look back to my past year (yes it still feels strange to call 2017 as the past year!) I have this strange feeling. It was a year full of goods and bads, ups and down. There were so many good things that happened this year to me and yet there were so many low points. All in all, it was a year of mixed emotions.
I am writing this post now (yes it is not a scheduled one), having a cup of coffee and drooling over all the emotions. So pardon me, if this post is going to be a long one. I want to discuss all the stuff (personal or otherwise) with you guys and want to plan a better year, want to set some goals and I want to actually achieve them. So let’s see my journey in the last year and the things I am looking forward to in new year 🙂
Looking back to 2017
In personal life
- For me, 2017 itself started with a pretty bad note on the personal level. My father-in-law had a terrible accident in Dec 2016 and since then we were pretty tensed. So until March of next year, it took quite an effort to make all the things normal for the family.
- We made a little trip to Kashid beach in the new year to relax which was pretty much needed.
- Soon after that my father was hospitalized for low platelets count and was diagnosed with Dengue and we were so scared. But by the grace of God, everything was good at the end and he was okay within a few days.
- We bought our new home in Pune though we will get it in 2019.
- My husband got a new job in Bangalore and I was so happy that he finally left his old company 😛 Though this meant that I needed to switch my job too, but still it was pretty great.
- On my birthday (on 14th July), I came to visit him in Bangalore and we made a little trip to Mysore, which we enjoyed a lot.
- But then, he was diagnosed with typhoid. But, it was low level and he recovered very well.
- I switched my job and finally moved to Bangalore with my husband in Dec 2017. The whole house organization and stuff took the whole last month of the year.
- My younger sister got married in the last month. Though the event was itself not happened as per our expectations, in the end, everything was well.
You can say that my life was full of ups and down exactly like a roller-coaster, isn’t it? One happy thing was led by a sad one. But at last, the year ended on a happy note.
In bookish life
- This was certainly my highlight of the year and the one thing that actually was always on the happy note for me and made me keep strong. I was not a reader until the year before. It was my resolution of 2017 to start reading again and I am glad that I did.
- I started using Goodreads again and felt its importance in my reading life and how actually it can motivate me.
- I finally started my blog on my birthday which is still the most visited day of my blog 😀 I am glad that people are liking it and they keeps me motivated to achieve more and to read more.
- I started bookstagram and it is going well till now. I have changed many themes, but I guess I am liking it as it is now?
- I started getting review copies from authors and publishers. I got myself listed on Bloomsbury bloggers list and aiming for the other publishers 😀
- I gained around 130+ blog followers, 800+ Instagram followers and 450+ Twitter followers and I am quite satisfied with the stats.
- My blog has got 900+ monthly views and what can I ask for more?
- I completed my Goodreads goal of reading 50 books and actually ended year with 56 books, which I never imagined to achieve at the start of the year 😀
Click the image above to see my Goodreads year in books
Favourite books of 2017
I read over 50 books and I am a person who goes easy on the ratings. I read so many good books that I can include here, but instead, I am choosing a few that made a special place in my heart. A lot of favourites, huh? 😀
2017 reading challenges status
I am quite satisfied with my challenges status that I took in 2017:
- Goodreads Reading Challenge: 56/50
- Popsugar Reading Challenge: 33/52
- Indian Books Challenge: 15/12
- A-Z Book Challenge: 19/26
- A-Z Author Challenge: 20/26
Completed only 2 of these challenges out of 5 but it is still good for me 😀
Goals & Resolutions for 2018
- To be more social: When you are a bookworm it’s hard to be social. But by being social, here I mean that I want to more responsible towards my family. I usually avoid the telephonic conversations as I always feel lack of words. But this is something that I need to do improve. I need to talk to my relatives and friends more often.
- Do better in the new job: As you may be aware that I switched to a new job. As your experience increases, you have to work hard to maintain that position and gain the strength in your team and the hold on your work. As a new member of the team, I have to really work hard to gain that position and have to make my name.
- Make better investment plans: We might think of increasing our family this year (not sure though :P) so we need better investment plans. We have to save more basically. There are so many things that we want to achieve in our lives and for all that money is the essential thing. So we have to make better plans for it.
- Travel new places: This is the goal which will remain same for me each year. I want to travel at least 2 new places.
- Better management of personal life, work life and blogging: This is the aspect in which I struggled most in 2017. It was pretty hard for me to manage my blogging with my personal and work life. Doing a 9-5 job and being a married person, takes a lot of your time. I have to learn how to accommodate blogging at that time.
There are a lot of goals that I want to achieve in this area.
- Read 50+ books: This year again, I am setting my goal to read 50 books at least and any number above that is always an encouragement.
- Read different genres each month: I want to read a different kind of books each month. For the starters I have made a list of books that I would like to cover each month (at least 2 of these):
- One classic
- One Agatha Christie
- One NetGalley ARC / Review copy
- One backlisted book
- Create a blog schedule and actually stick to it: This time, I really want to create a proper schedule and actually want to stick with it. Apart from a few meme, I post whenever I like. I want to make this better. I want to post a particular blog post on the day decided.
- Write the review as soon as possible: I want to review books as soon as I finish them. If it is not possible to review them, then at least I would like to at least draft the review so that I can remember everything later on. I am really bad at this currently.
- Try to say “No”: This is an important area that I need to improve on. I need to say “No” to the review copies that I would not actually buy otherwise. I need to read the blurbs first before accepting anything.
- Request fewer books on NetGalley: NetGalley is the main reason for my uncontrollable TBR. I really need to stop requesting ARCs or should only accept the ones that I really want. Also, I have to learn to review those ARCs as soon as I get them and not wait for their releasing dates.
- Learn the post scheduling: My blog was pretty much inconsistent during the last months of 2017 and I don’t want my blog to face the same. I have to try to learn the scheduling of posts so that I always have a few on hand even if I am busy in other things in my life.
- Not to fall for hyped books: I am pretty much addicted to the new books because of their hypes and I need to stop buying them just because of the hype.
- Make the blog consistent throughout: There are still a lot of things that I need to improve on my blog. I need to make all the posts consistent (especially the old ones). I need to better categorize them. There are so many plans in my mind for the blog.
- Write more travel posts: This is the one thing that I like other than reading. I actually wrote one travel post and I HAVE to improve this number.
- Start new memes: I am planning to start some new memes on my blog from quite a few months now. I have to actually implement them this year.
- Post more discussion posts: This is my most important resolution. I actually want to post more discussions so that I can engage with more people and in turn can increase my blog stats.
- Make better plans for the blog: I have to think of new ideas to increase my blog traffic. I have to learn new things and need to make changes so that I can make my blog better and more reachable.
- Try to achieve the challenges of 2018: I am pretty relaxed in terms of reading challenges. But I really want to do better this year for my reading challenges.
So that’s it in terms of my new goals and resolutions for 2018and my 2017 wrap-up (kind of).
What’s your new year resolutions?How was your 2017? Good enough or mixed one like me?
What are some of your bookish goals? Do you share any with me? What do you think of my resolutions?