[Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links which means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a very small percentage of the sale at no cost to you. Please see my disclosure policy for more info.]
Publication Date: January 10th 2017
Publisher: Animal Media Group LLC
Genres: Nonfiction, Graphic Novel
Goodreads Blurb: Anonymous break up stories from men and women, old and young, serious and silly and the cartoons that inspired them. Author and artist Hilary Campbell turns the painful into the hilarious, validating emotions from forgotten middle school tragedies to relationships that ended only hours ago.
Don’t tell me that this title didn’t attract you. Certainly, it did, isn’t it? 😛 I guess it is the title that attracted me too for requesting it in the first place. I got it actually last year, but I don’t know why I waited so long to read such a small and funny book?
So this was really short and I have not that much to say, so I decided to present my second bullet-point review which I have done earlier here. This is really a quick way to write reviews and also help me to tell the actual points clearly. So let’s begin with the review of Breaking Up is Hard To Do 🙂
But first a little detail about the book. As you can gather the info from the synopsis that this is a collection of weird and funny stories that different people have sent to the author. She has also incorporated her illustrations into the stories.
What I Liked
- Great mix of stories: Well the stories were of all kind. Some were short, some were little longer, some were funny, some were weird and some felt really painful. I guess, (almost) everyone has gone through a breakup at least once. It is certainly not easy. Some breakups go well and end up smoothly and some.. well. Reading such collection made me laugh at few while made me sad for others. There were some stupid stories too and I was just thinking, can people even break up on this? Overall, the author has provided a mixed kind of stories which were fun to read.
- Nice illustrations: After each story, the author has also provided the illustration of that story. They were quite good and funny. The illustrations were simple though but they perfectly match the stories.
- The title: Wel, this has to be the biggest plus point for the book. The title is so catchy that it takes your attention instantly.
- Unique idea and quick read: I like the overall idea of the book. It was very unique. Breakups are generally painful and with this unique and hilarious collection of that painful thing, the author has really done an incredible job. Also, the book was really short and quick read because of the writing style. The stories were presented like proses.
- Best dedication ever: Trust me on this. The dedication of the book was the funniest one I have read to date. The dedication itself sets your mood for the further stories. Okay, you can also laugh. Here it is:
“To that one dude,
for being such an inspirational dick.”
Here are some of the stories that I really liked and laughed a lot :
Well, there are quite other favourites too but I guess I can’t include them all 😛
What I didn’t like
- Some stories had bad drawing placement: Well this is not a that big point, but I guess it affected my reading flow in some places. This can totally be there because I had an ARC and they have corrected it in the final book? Maybe, but here, in some stories, the illustration was placed in between a story, often in the middle of a sentence and the rest started after the drawing. This was somewhat annoying.
- Not a special writing style: Okay so this can be the overall idea of the author- taking the stories from people and adding them as it is. It felt as if no effort was made by the author in incorporating those stories.
- Wanted some stories to be a little longer: As I said earlier that this was a good mix of short and long stories, but there were a few for which I wanted a little longer version.
Overall, this book was quite enjoyable. I would definitely recommend this. It was an unexpected read for me. If you are looking to read some weird and funny stories, pick it up. Or if you are planning a holiday, take it with you. Or if you just had a breakup and you want to read something that would make you laugh for a moment, just pick it up. A mix up for short and long stories, this will definitely paste a smile on your face and will make you think that yeah, weird people do exist 😛
A mix of funny and weird break-up stories which won’t allow you to put down this book until you are finished reading it. Pick it up for your holiday reading list #BreakingUpIsHardToDo by Hilary Campbell
Have you heard about this book? What do you think of this concept?
Do you like to read this kind of short reads/collections?
Do you like this review format?